Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Duet by R.S. Grey

The Duet by R.S. Grey
Released November 11, 2014
Spoiler Free Review by Krystal
22911904

"When 27-year-old pop sensation Brooklyn Heart steps in front of a microphone, her love songs enchant audiences worldwide. But when it comes to her own love life, the only spell she’s under is a dry one. 

So when her label slots her for a Grammy performance with the sexy and soulful Jason Monroe, she can’t help but entertain certain fantasies... those in which her G-string gets more play than her guitars'.

Only one problem. Jason is a lyrical lone wolf that isn’t happy about sharing the stage—nor his ranch — with the sassy singer. But while it may seem like a song entitled ‘Jason Monroe Is an Arrogant Ho’ basically writes itself, their label and their millions of fans are expecting recording gold…

They’re expecting The Duet."

The Duet was such a fun and comical read.  If you're looking to step away and read something light and witty, The Duet is perfect.  Actually, any book by R.S. Grey is perfect for you. I love all of her books so far! I was gifted a copy by a friend in the RS Greys Girls Group...and I'm so grateful. Isn't the cover beautiful!?

Brooklyn Heart is a twenty-seven year old pop singer with so much going for her. At the prime of her career, some would say she is definitely a socialite, and self centered. But her sister, Cameron, aka Cammie, would tell you otherwise, for they are best friends, literally attached at the hip since their parents death. 
"Who needs booze and blow? No thanks.  All I wanted was a good ol' fashioned, wake the neighbors, scratch marks down his back orgasm."
Thats right, Brooklyn was having a dry spell that'd lasted a year...she wanted to find her missing "O." But it wasn't like she could just sip-off to the club and have a one-night stand whenever she wanted.  The parazzi would be all over her ass. So she tried to play it cool. When a night out with her sister lands her in band with a Brazilian model, she also finds herself late, when she is called in for a meeting with her label, what she isn't expecting was to be forced into writing a Duet to perform at the Grammys with a not so thrilled Jason Monroe.
"I'm a solo artist. I've never performed on stage with another singer before.  If I'm going to start now, it's not going to be with Brooklyn Heart."
Jason Monroe, a "gritty" folk singer with her label, and Brooklyn were neck and neck for top-selling status. Lets face it, first 39% I was determined to hate him, but at 40% I could see his demeanor changing. Who doesn't love a hott musician?

A week later, Brooklyn is on her way to Montana..to Jason's ranch for inspiration and too collaborate But when she comes face to face with Jason, they quickly learn that they are totally different, It really does not help that Brooklyn has the hotts for Jason. He is a total douche canoe to her, and she takes it. She tries to make a peace offering but Jason is determined to write this song, and send her on her merry way. I liked the little glimpses we get into his hidden personality with every smirk and glance he tried to hideaway.

When they both realize they are having a writers block, the idea of using sex to inspire...lyrics start flowing immediately.
"No matter what I did I could not win with Jason Monroe. The universe was intent on making us mortal enemies."
One round of sex leads to another, and they eventually fall into a routine, but with rules: no relationship, no complications, just sex!



They begin to get close and Brooklyn starts to understand why Jason acts that way and what make him have such a cold front. When those feelings starts to grow from hate to love, that’s when reality strikes again. When you are in a seclude ranch things are easy, but when you have ghosts and the world watching you… how much are you willing to take? 

Brooklyn was so sassy, and quirky, but I loved the sisterly banter between Cameron and Brooklyn the most. The two together are hysterical! The banter between the two is rather comical. It makes me wish that I had that close of a relationship with my own sister. Hell, the banter and whitty quirks among all the characters had me laughing out loud.
The Grammy performance... I'd like to bow down and applause, RS Grey nailed that one...I wanted to cry.  Jason...totally swooning!!!! (I pulled this graphic from Goodreads -- just a little snippet of the performance).

One thing I admired about The Duet was the lack of drama..besides the obvious jealousy that built between the two, there was no drama. I was seriously expecting some sort of scandal or big all out drama fest, but the story was so relaxed and well written.

Unfortunately, I could not give The Duet a 5 star rating for the fact that the book was only written in Brooklyns POV. I would have loved to dig around in Jasons head a little bit..starting with the moment Brooklyn got off the elevator at the meeting with the record label. I kept waiting for it too happen, and it never did, and I was very disappointed.

I can't wait to rad the next installation, Cammies story....although there is no cliffhanger, we are left wondering what her story is with Grayson!!



Purchase:

No comments:

Post a Comment

S Pink Premium Pointer