Thursday, November 20, 2014

Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1) by L.B. Simmons

Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1) by L.B. Simmons
Released January 4, 2013
Spoiler Free Review by Krystal
16151293

"I had the perfect life. 

Beautiful and loving husband.Three gorgeous little girls. 
Successful career. 

The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence. 

Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I’ve made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that’s all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse. 

But then he came back into my life. On a freakin’ motorcycle.

There’s no way I’ll let him turn my life completely upside down. Absolutely no way. 

The question is…

How long can I keep pretending that I’m happy with my life being right-side up?"


L.B. Simmons exceeded every expectation I had for this book. I am in love with the way she writes because it’s not just her putting words down on a page. She brings them to life and makes you feel what the characters are feeling. I‘m looking forward to reading the next two books in the series!  
Alex's husband, Derek died three years ago, leaving her with three young children. Every day she wakes up still expecting him beside her, and when she sees the faces of her children, it quickly reminds her of him. Still grieving, she struggles on a daily basis to put her husbands death behind her, but instead, she is letting the fear of love rob the happiness that she deserves. She's running on empty.

Rylie, Nycole, and Kendall are hilarious...as are all children their age. They keep Alex on her toes, and it leaves no time for Alex-time. One crazy morning, when nothing is going right, after Alex has dropped off all the girls at daycare/school, she runs out of gas on the interstate on the way the way to work.  To make things even crazier, Blake Morgan drives up on his motorcycle and offers her a ride, hesitantly, Alex hops on and she makes it to work.



Blake. So good looking, long hair and all, they were inseparable as children, their lives took different paths once she met the man she would eventually marry but they never forgot the unconditional love they once shared. what she hates accepting the most from others – help - but also to consider letting another man in her heart again. Blake is patient, considerate, understanding – he knows Alex better than she knows herself, always seeing her attempts at pushing him away as fear rather than lack of interest.

After their ride to her office, Alex is caught off guard with a whirlwind of emotions. Her business partner and best friend for over 20 years, Harlow, calls her out on it.

"I think you know that seeing Blake had an effect on you.  And I think you're so used to not allowing yourself to feel anything that your brain didn't know how to cope."


When Blake shows up on her night out with Alex and Harlow, Alex makes a food of herself and Blake leaves.  The next morning, Alex feels bad and she is determined to apologize. When she shows up at Blakes parents house, an apology lands her in the ER, Blake feels guilty and the two of them apologize to each other and decide to be friends again. Blake persuades Alex that he is going to take care of her, which also means taking care of the girls, until Harlow gets back into town.  Alex, being stubborn and independent does now want to accept his help, but soon realizes, she has no choice but to accept it.

Her girls instantly love Blake, they are practically joined at the hip. From watching Barney, to making chocolate chip pancakes and bacon the next morning, hes so sweet and so good with the girls! I mean the girls are completely smitten with Blake. The patience and the love that he has for these as if they were his own is undeniable, and this is what truly makes him sexy !!


Alex and Blake automatically fall back into the routine they had when they were younger, playful banter, laughter, and a beautiful friendship. When Alex starts to feel something more then friendship for Blake, she scared, scared she is betraying Derek. Her her fear of experiencing heart-shattering loss again paralyses her, filling her with apprehension and doubts. She rationalizes this in her head by convincing herself that she is protecting her daughters from potential pain and loss, but it is her own terror of the unknown that keeps her from embracing her feelings for Blake.

When Alex and Blake try to relive childhood memories, they end up on a boat in the fishing spot where Blake first kissed her. It is here that Blake finally admits that he has always had feelings for Alex.

"I love you, Alex. I've loved you when we were kids....and I've continued to love you every day since"


Running on Empty is about grief, friendship, and family. About a young mothers battle through through humor, sarcasm,  and heartache. But when Alex finally gives him and let Blake in, will she find an excuse to push him back away?

“You’ll never have your happy ending unless you’re brave enough to open the book and start your story."


Running on Empty was such a light read compared to what I normally read. It was a book with zero sex, but lots of sparks! But even though there was no sex, I truly enjoyed it, and didn't want to put it down (or should I say, turn my kindle off,) Every character was lovable, and Alex's support system was so strong.

Whats even better? I got both book 1 and 3 for FREE on Amazon <3


Purchase Link: 

Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

S Pink Premium Pointer