Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Pact by Karina Halle

The Pact by Karina Halle
Released December 28, 2014
Spoiler Free Review by Krystal

23844390

"It all started with a pinky swear…

Linden McGregor is tall, rugged, and gunslinger handsome; a helicopter pilot with a Scottish brogue and charm to spare. He’s also one of Stephanie Robson’s best friends and has fit into that box for as long as she’s known him.

Beautiful, funny and an ambitious businesswoman (with one hell of an ass), Stephanie Robson is one of Linden McGregor’s best friends and has fit into that box for as long as he’s known her.

But some relationships can’t be boxed, can’t be classified, can’t be tamed.

Back in their mid-twenties and tired of the competitive hit-or-miss dating scene of San Francisco, Steph and Linden made a pact to marry each other if neither one of them are in a serious relationship by the time they hit thirty.

It sounds like fun and games but as the years to thirty tick past and lovers come and go out of their lives, the pact becomes larger than life.
Sex is inevitable. Friendships are tested. Hearts are on the line.

The pact is about to change everything."


I was so excited when I first heard about this book because when I was 18, I made a Pact to marry my best friend at age 25, if neither of us were with married by then...so I found the book on Goodreads and knew I was going to love it ! I’m a HUGE fan of Karina Halle. I will 1-click every book she writes! This book was a bit slow for me and I was a bit disappointed in it....it just didn't make the cut for me.


First off, I didn't feel any connection between Linden and Steph. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Zip. I didn't feel the connection between them as friends, I certainly didn't feel a connection between them as lovers. For this to work for me, I have to be convinced of their friendship. I have to feel their connection as friends or else the friends-to-lovers tag is kind of a moot point, isn't it? Linden and Steph as friends was just --. Which made their transition to lovers even more awkward. 

 photo b727ef00-c3b8-4153-a17b-94a5349a4de5.jpg
 photo 4da562e5-c850-4786-87c2-4a15f03cf913.jpg

Second, speaking of awkward, the whole 'I like you and want you but cannot be with you' schtick they going throughout the book was a joke. I mean, seriously? They were definitely hot for each other. That much was evident right on the first page but they're not together because what exactly? Because of James? It's fuckin' juvenile.

Third, which happens to be the reason why I couldn't get into this book, was they spent 44% of the book banging other people. 44%!! This isn't a friends-to-lovers book, more like friends-with-other-lovers.  I just don't like to read about the two main characters being in a relationship with other people like that especially when I'm supposed to believe they are everything to each other. 


And the secrecy thing was, again, juvenile, because their reason for keeping their relationship a secret was so eye-roll worthy. I mean, really? Even though the book was supposed to be about adult people in their thirties, ALL THE CHARACTERS ACTED LIKE TEENAGERS!!!

”I think we should…we need…to go back to being friends. Just friends.” 
description

And correct me if I'm wrong but I really thought they were going to get married once they reach 30 years old and they are not with other people. Turns out, they were just going to sleep together and try it out and see where it leads them. I think the whole frustrating elements would have been avoidable if the author focused more on the pact the characters made. It would have probably been more interesting if they truly got married at the start of the book and go from there. Sadly it didn't get real attention in the book at all.




In the end, the book was steamy for the most part...it just wasn't my cup of tea. I never write negative reviews!! But I know Karina Halle has talent. Word of advice: I know a lot of people liked this book, but if you are new to this author, better start with Love, in English if you want to see the author's remarkable writing talent.

Purchase: Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment

S Pink Premium Pointer